Would you be able to beat the national champion? Here is a list of the winning words from the final round, from the past 10 years:
- appoggiatura (2005): an embellishing note or tone preceding an essential melodic note or tone and usually written as a note of smaller size.
- Ursprache (2006) a parent language; especially one reconstructed from the evidence of later languages
- serrefine (2007) a small forceps for clamping a blood vessel
- guerdon (2008) reward
- Laodicean (2009) lukewarm or indifferent in religion or politics
- Stromuhr (2010) a rheometer designed to measure the amount and speed of blood flow through an artery
- Cymotrichous (2011) having wavy hair
- guetapens (2012) a trap
- Knaidel (2013) matzo ball
- Stichomythia (2014) dialogue in which two characters speak alternate lines of verse, used as a stylistic device in ancient Greek drama
- feuilleton (2014) a part of a newspaper or magazine devoted to fiction, criticism, or light literature
- Scherenschnitte (2015) meaning ‘scissor cuts’ in German, is the art of paper cutting design, often featuring elements of symmetry
- nunatak (2015) an exposed, often rocky element of a ridge, mountain, or peak not covered with ice or snow within (or at the edge of) an ice field or glacier
(Source: International Business Times)
Don’t miss the highly acclaimed musical The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee before it ends this Sunday, Nov. 8– book your tickets by calling the Box Office at (501) 378-0405 or visit TheRep.org.
And don’t forget: we are offering $10 off all remaining tickets to the musical. Get yours now!